Daubs of paint splashed on a cavas and then babbled about by the Mighty Toad.

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Norwegian Wood

 
Here's the finished painting. There are parts that could be done better, but for a first attempt at a face, I think it came out pretty well. The colors work better in real life than on the web but I like how all the main colors are formed from some combination of red, black, and white.

I'm even happy with the mouth and nose, although, in the interest of accuracy, I should mention that the mouth was painted over 4 times trying to get it right and the nose took the better part of the week and was re-done several times as well.

This one was done in acrylics, which was nice in that the paint dried very quickly and was easy to paint over and to build layers with. At the same time, oils are so much nicer to work with. The way they blend so easily and are so thick on the canvas is really nice. All in all there are points in favor of both oils and acrylics and I feel comfortable using them both now so I guess it'll depend on the image I have in mind which determines which kind of paint I end up using on the next painting.

The last note for this painting is that it's on the smallish side. It's A4 size on the standardized metric scale.

Cross-posted from Left From Seattle.

No comments: