Daubs of paint splashed on a cavas and then babbled about by the Mighty Toad.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The Temple of the Dancing Monks



Yeah, I don't really like this one. The image on canvas bears very little relation to the idea in my head; this was an attempt on my part to paint trees and people. Neither came out very well. I'm really unhappy with the monks themselves. I didn't have the technique or finger dexterity to accomplish what I'd been hoping for.

However, I am pleased with the temple pagoda in the background. I was trying for an aesthetic where the background is a solid color and details are added not through lots of colors and shading but rather through a single brush stroke or two that implies a detail rather than actually shows it. I think I accomplished that in the sky and temple, just not the trees or people.

But, as I've said, it is a learning process and I feel that it's important to represent the good with the bad. Win some, lose some.

No comments: