Daubs of paint splashed on a cavas and then babbled about by the Mighty Toad.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Hanami



Hanami was painted on the road. Well, in a park actually. I went with some friends to a park in a nearby city to have a look at the cherry blossom trees while they were in bloom last April.

I'm not thrilled with the finished product, but I'm not displeased either. This painting was an attempt to paint what I could see in front of me as all the previous paintings had been directly from my imagination. Even then, I ended up using visable elements and putting them into a non-existant composition.

I tried a few new brush work techniques on this one, namely using blotting to paint in the flowers on the trees. It worked, but not as I'd expected. Again, I wasn't used to the difference in viscosity between oils and acrylics and had expected to be able to put on thin layers of pink and white. The oils, however, left much thicker daubs of paint on the canvas and pulled more paint to the canvas from the brush, leaving me with more paint and less of a blend than I had hoped for.

Beautiful day to be in the park though.

No comments: